Skip to content
- Marketing scams/Phony Publishing houses to be aware of, thanks to the Writer Beware Blog
Media & Publishing
- Clear and kind, step-by-step guide to creating your own website. Seriously, Ogi and the team at FirstSiteGuide lay it out so well for you! How to Make a Website
- Free (you do have to create an account) online designing/media/photo site. Use it for your media kit, logos, graphics, etc. Canva.com
- Beautiful, high res stock photos that are copyright free (always check the fine print first.) Freestocks.org, Unsplash.com and my favorite, Stocksnap.io
- Book cover designers: Custom packages starting at 495$, pre-designed covers starting at 195$ Damonza.com. Largest selection of pre-designed covers out there, The Book Cover Designer.com. Starting at 65$ (some of the cheaper ones are pretty rubbish, to warn you.)
- Joanna Penn & The Creative Penn.com’s giant list of book cover designers.
- Your brutally honest road map to getting published. 25 Steps to being published from Delilah S. Dawson.
- Good Basic Starter Page for everything you could want, from Writers Helping Writers.
- A Hot Steaming Sack of Business Advice for Writers by author Chuck Wendig. Brutal, hilarious, practical and terribly NSFW. Very much worth a read.
- Directory of reviewers for indie publishers.
- Fantastic resource for describing your characters who have dark skin, without resorting to “coffee” or “chocolate” from the blog Writing With Color.
- Legitimate writing contests that pay winners, list curated by The Write Life.
- The Queryshark Janet Reid takes big, educational bites out of queries.
- http://absolutewrite.com/. Query Letter Hell-when Janet isn’t mean enough.
- Writer’s Digest take on query letters.
- Jane Friedman’s take on query letters.
- How to write a query letter-good basic post that covers everything at once, with an infographic-from Reedsy
- Actual successful query letters from AgentQuery Connect. You don’t have to be a member to read the entries, but signing up is a good idea if you’re querying.
- Publisher’s, Agents & Querying from the Insecure Writer’s Support Group. The most complete listing of this type I’ve found, highly recommend.
- Choosing your POV and tips to combat head-hopping from Julianne Johnson.
- Hemingway Editing app highlights all (I mean all) your errors including passive voice, adverbs, and readability. Paid and free versions.
- Index of Romance Tropes to inspire you, from Mindy Klasky.
- Randy Ingermanson’s take on head hopping (The author of “Writing Fiction for Dummies”)
- Jerry Jenkins fabulous examples in Showing vs. Telling: What you Need to Know.
- Writing in Deep POV, contains examples of how to do it, from Kristin Kieffer at Well-Storied.com
- Editor Arlene Prunkl’s excellent take on showing and telling with examples of each.
- Different Plot Outlines Free downloads from Writer’s Digest.
- Outlines, Characterization and Plotting Different free downloads for plotting & character from Duolit
- http://writershelpingwriters.net/ Everything. Just everything. Search what you need.
- Writer’s Toolbox from a Writer’s Path. Fairly random and covers a lot.
- Nina Amir’s list of 20 Things Aspiring and Published Authors Can Blog About from the site Write Fiction Now.com.
For Writers of Historical
- Courtship, Old West Style by Author Kristin Holt (great resource for historical romance.)
- Full text of the hilariously named “Marriage and Home: or, proposal and espousal: a Christian treatise on the most sacred relations to mortals known: love, marriage, home.” by “A Clergyman” from Port Melbourne, Australia, 1888. Ignore the fantastically Victorian title and read through it for all kinds of courting & marriage rituals from the era (another good one for historical romance.)
- Scanned copy of The Lady’s Guide to Perfect Gentility: In Manners, Dress, and Conversation
- 19th Century.com All kinds of fun reading about the 1800s
- Writer’s Dreamtools Quick and dirty summary of the 1800s, all major events, inventions and figures.
- A History of Sacramento by St. Francis Parish.
- Digitized copies of California newspapers 1846 to Present.
- The Comstock Lode from Wikipedia.
- Dayton NV Historical Society
- Book Charities. From the Huffington Post. Find a way to give back with your old books.
- 100 Best Romances from NPR reader voted bests in several genres.
- Dear Author reviews for your own book, recommendations and best-of lists from readers.